[vdr] Which extension for TS files?

Martin Dauskardt md001 at gmx.de
Sun Jan 4 14:50:02 CET 2009

> From: Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de>

> Up to now VDR has used names like 001.vdr for its recording files.
> While moving to Transport Stream as the recording format, I need to
> use a different file name extension, and so was wondering which one
> to use. My first idea was *.ts, for "Transport Stream", but when I
> point, for instance, Konqueror to such a file, it thinks it is a
> "Qt Translation Source". So I was wondering if I should use *.mpg
> instead. This one is identified by Konqueror as an MPEG file and
> will make it launch a proper player.
>
> What do you think about this?
I am strongly against this.
*.ts may conflict with KDE, but it is a usual ending for transport stream.
Several mpeg-tools can handle this. I think the dreambox is also using *.ts
for its recordings.

*.mpg would give much more problems with applications. A TS is not an
mpeg-file. Applications which can play mpg but not TS may even crash.

Greets,
Martin