[vdr] Frames per second PAL vs. NTSC

André Weidemann Andre.Weidemann at web.de
Mon Jan 5 12:23:39 CET 2009

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> In order to correctly handle the progress indicator for NTSC
> recordings I'm now determining the frame rate from the
> actual data. With PAL's 25 frames per second the distance
> between two frames is 3600 "ticks" of 1/90000s. With NTSC
> this number is 3003, which results in 29.97002997003 fps.
> Is NTSC's frame rate really that "odd"? I thought it would
> be an even 30 fps.
>
> Klaus

The last paragraph under "Color Encoding" explains the "odd" number for
the NTSC frame rate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Color_encoding

While taking care of the correct display of time for NTSC and PAL,
please also adjust the OSD for PAL and NTSC. Right now it takes a plugin
called videosystem, which does not seem to be maintained anymore to
alter the size of the OSD when playing back NTSC video. Without this
plugin parts of the OSD will be "out of bounds".

  André