[vdr] 1:1 pixel mapping - a waste of time?

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 15:36:43 CET 2009

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 04:29:55 +0000
Scott <scott at waye.co.uk> wrote:

> As Im just starting to get vdr working, I was wondering if 1:1 pixel
> mapping between the video card (nvidia onboard HDMI output) and my
> flat panel (Samsung plasma) is a waste of time.  When looking at a
> "computer" generated image like the desktop, its going to make a
> difference, but with broadcast material (SD mostly), I imagine that
> the material is scaled anyway to fit the resolution of the panel
> (which in my case I think is 1024x720, but that has a bit of
> overscan).  So it wont be 1:1 anyway, or am I wrong here?    I know
> this is a bit off topic, but there seems to be a fair bit of
> experience here.

With my TV I've tried running vdr-sxfe at 1360x768 at 60 (which the TV does
accept over HDMI, but not VGA), 1280x720 at 50 and 720x576 at 50. Surprisingly
720x576 seems to look a bit rougher to me than the other two
resolutions. I find 1280x720 is slightly better than 1360x768 for VDR
because of the matching refresh rate.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk