[vdr] Support for different frame rates?

Pasi Juppo Pasi at Juppo.fi
Tue Jan 6 19:47:14 CET 2009

Tony Houghton wrote:

>>> Do you mean ambitious? Yes, it is going to be a big challenge, but
>>> hopefully it'll get there one day.
>>>
>> At least for now it seems to use vdr as a backend. Has anybody tested it.
>>

> I should let on that I'm the developer and I've been using it a lot. I
> started writing it back before VDR had a media player, so some sort of
> frontend was really needed; even now I think boxstar has a lot of
> advantages over VDR's media player, but VDR, especially with the
> xineliboutput plugin, did improve a lot so I wasn't motivated to develop
> boxstar's own DVB support.
>
> Now I've got a DVB-S card and a DVB-T card together, VDR's channels
> management just isn't good enough, so because of all sorts of other
> niggles and because I don't like C++ enough to make big changes to VDR I
> want to press ahead again with boxstar's DVB support.

Few comments/suggestions to boxstar:
-roadmap: boxtar itself does not seem to show EPG unless it is
incorporated into manage timers and recordings. Anyhow, I really hope
you implement TVOnScreen type of EPG viewer and similar EPG search
-plugin for automated timers.
-OSD: not much is said about that but I hope it will scale according to
the resolution and be full-coloured.
-I assume that boxstar is developed to be full client-server solution
which allows multiple fully independent clients. What would be nice
addition because of the today's motherboards is that bostar-daemon could
be run on multiple PCs for single system. This would allow to use cheap
mATX boards that have one or two PCI slots to build a massive (?) system
of e.g. 6 DVB cards. Some kind of master server might be needed for
centralized recordings, timers etc.

Br, Pasi