[vdr] xineliboutput + vdpau not ready for prime time

Gerald Dachs vdr at dachsweb.de
Mon Jan 19 00:47:17 CET 2009

I have made some experiments with xineliboutput and vdpau, it looked
promising, but at least I had to give up for now. I have used vdr 1.6.0,
xineliboutput 1.0.3, nvidia driver 180.22, xine-lib-vdpau from 20090113
and xinelib 1.1.90hg from 20090114 with vdpau-patch r160.
I use it with sdtv, because I have only DVB-T and a PVR350.
The cpu usage for vdr-sxfe goes down from 25% to 7%, but the picture
is not in sync with the sound. The biggest problem is that if I switch
channels it happens that the video starts to flicker. You can see that
between the pictures of the current channel the pictures of the previous
channel appear. Restarting vdr-sxfe fixes it till the next channel
switch. In the beginning of my test this happened seldom, but now it
happens with every channel switch, the problem is that I have no idea
what configuration change I have done that is to blame.

Does anyone have an idea what I can try next, or should I simply wait
for a better version of the xine-lib for vdpau.

Gerald