[vdr] Any really working HD video output systems for VDR?

Mattia Rossi mattia at technologist.com
Thu Jun 11 11:00:29 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 00:50 +0200, Georg Acher wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:44:29AM +0200, Mattia Rossi wrote:
> > Is there any other setting we can work on regarding the eHd outputs,
> > even if they are not listed in the reelbox-3 setup ?
> Not really. You can either use upscaling without deinterlacing (and get
> tearing for real interlaced moving signals) or use the chips "deinterlacer".
> That is effectively independent scaling of both fields, so the field order
> is correct, but fine details show horizontal ghost lines as the
> interpolation doesn't know anything about the full context. It depends a bit
> on the display how visible these lines can be seen, some displays seem to
> have their own filtering and hide them better.

Ok, will try to improve a little bit on the display side (i.e. bring my
test machine to a couple of friend's houses and test with different
VPRs, plasmas). I haven't found much documentation for my particular
hardware, but it looks like scaling from 480i and 576i isn't really what
it is best at ....

> There is a third possibility that is currently not settable: Blending. That
> mixes both fields together. So still pictures are sharp and movements are
> "only" blurred and not teared. I can enable it in a "experimental"
> linux.bin.

That would be great, and if you manage to get a test build I would be
willing to experiment

> BTW: We chose the DeCypher despite "a real" deinterlacer was missing at the
> time, because we were told that it will be enabled later. The rest is
> history...

Alas, that happens too often with manufacturers

> You can output 576i over HDMI and let the display do the deinterlacing. But
> there is a dependency with the analog output that allows only 576p when the
> analog port should emit 576i (CVBS etc.). For 576i over HDMI you need to
> switch the analog port completely off.

> I guess the vdr 1.7 has it's own intelligence about frame-precise playback
> for TS that doesn't match the requirements of the plugin... It took us quite
> a while to make it work almost as responsive as on the FF, maybe there are
> some dependencies with our "old" 1.4. But up to now, I had no time to try
> 1.7...

Well, while this looks like a show stopper for other users, it really
isn't for me (and my users) since we mainly use the skip fwd and skip
backward functions when replaying

Thanks and regards