[vdr] More features for Livebuffer

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 20:55:41 CET 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:32:02 +0000
Gavin Hamill <gdh at acentral.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 19:15 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:30:55 +0200
> > Rene Hertell <linuxtv at hertell.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, i guess it does, cause it writes to the hdd:s surface constantly in
> > > large amounts...
> >
> > But there's no physical contact, the surface just has its magnetic
> > polarity changed (or something like that). Is there a limit to how many
> > times it can survive those changes? Or perhaps the head moving mechanism
> > can wear out?
>
> I thought the driving force for having HDs power down was to reduce
> power, noise and heat?

Yes, avoiding disc access to keep it spun down is a good idea, but it's
difficult to keep one spun down in Linux because of logging activity
etc. Even if you manage to solve that problem I think the drive would
still need to be used often enough to make it a good idea only if it's
something like a laptop drive, designed to be spun up and down more
frequently than a desktop one.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk