[vdr] A new possibility for lower power high performance VDR

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 13:48:35 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Mika Laitio <lamikr at pilppa.org> wrote:

> I have myself thinked about the possibility of running vdr/xineliboutput
> client on low end systems that just have usb 2.0 but not any graphic
> cards or free pci slots available.
>
> Has anybody experiences from the "usb vga" or "usb dvi" graphic card
> adapters like these?

I think the answer is here:
"Sewell claims that these USB-driven monitors have the same quality as
standard DVI monitors at displays of* up to 20-inches*"
And what about all the GPU power? Someone has to handle MPEG decoding in
hardware.

As I see it, if you want low power silent box in your living room you'll
have to keep a server with cards/USBs somewhere in your basement. If I had a
basement, that's exactly that I would do :)