[vdr] Re: VDR-1.7.7 & Video aspect ratios (was: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.7.7)

Rolf Ahrenberg rahrenbe at cc.hut.fi
Mon May 4 08:00:52 CEST 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009, Tomas Berglund wrote:

> Do you mean aspect ratio 2.21:1 ?
>
> +const char *VideoAspectString[] = { "4:3",
> +                                    "16:9",
> +                                    "2.21:9"
> +                                  };

Besides of that typo, there're plenty of video aspect ratios missing:
1:1, 12:11, 10:11, 16:11, 40:33, 24:11, 20:11, 32:11, 80:33, 18:11,
15:11, 64:33, 160:99, 3:2, 2:1.

Anyway, I'm not very fond of this new interface addition. After a little
playing with xineliboutput plugin in the past, the OSD scaling to video
size is a total mess and hence the HUD mode was developed, where the
OSD resolution is the same as the output resolution and the video is
scaled to that resolution. I'd strongly suggest to implement
"cDevice::GetOSDSize()", so the output plugins can correctly set their
OSD resolution with minimal scaling artefacts.

Of course, you could misuse the current GetVideoSize always to result an
output (OSD) resolution, but that would break i.e. all skin plugins that
will certaily make use of this new method.

BR,
--
rofa