[vdr] Can I disable pause live tv altogher?

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Fri May 8 03:12:53 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Torgeir Veimo <torgeir at pobox.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/8 Andrew Herron <totallymaxed at gmail.com>
>>
>> This is a very popular feature in the Sky+ & SkyHD PVR's from Sky here in
>> the UK as it  enables them to offer the ability to rewind 'Live TV' in an
>> ad-hoc way (at least to the point where you switched over to the currently
>> viewed channel)
>> I agree it must put extra wear & stress on the hard drive and yes the
>> energy usage must be higher.
>
> There's no need for this stream to reach disk. A 512MB in memory buffer
> should be sufficient, and ram is cheap these days.

512MB won't get you far with hdtv.  It won't even get you 5 minutes
worth.  Needless to say, you'd need at least a few GB of dedicated ram
to even bother with it.  At least ram is cheap now as you've pointed
out (especially if you take advantage of MIR's).  After seeing how
much money I was wasting every month in my electric bill just by not
setting a sleep timeout on my harddrives, ram is the only place I'd
want any caching like that to take place if I were interested in
buffering live tv.