[vdr] Can I disable pause live tv altogher?

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Sun May 10 04:42:08 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Udo Richter <udo_richter at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 08.05.2009 01:17, Andrew Herron wrote:
>> I agree it must put extra wear & stress on the hard drive and yes the
>> energy usage must be higher.
>
> I don't think so. Disks don't wear that much by reading and writing.
> Spinning up and down, heating up and cooling down, shaking them, do lots
> of seek operations, thats wearing a hard disk much more. (Flash disks
> are different.)

Heat (ironically in some cases helps performance) especially wears
parts faster.  Putting a fan on a harddrive only keeps the housing
cool, which is a good thing, but it doesn't do anything for where the
heat is actually being generated.  You can run a harddrive 24/7/365
but when you do that there's a higher risk the next time you spin it
up you'll hear clicking.

> OTOH, 4GB of RAM isn't very expensive any more, and should be enough for
> roughly 1h of HDTV with good quality (~9mbit), or?

If there's any intention to add live tv caching then ram should
definitely be available to the user as a storage option.  Although I
don't really care about the feature, I don't mind if my ram is being
used whereas I absolutely don't want a harddrive constantly running
for it.  Btw, I haven't paid more then $20 for 2x2GB sticks of ram in
ages, though I always take advantage of MIR's on them.  I actually
have 8GB sitting new in the packaging but didn't want to pass up some
great deals. :)

Regards,
Derek