[vdr] xinelibout sxfe freeze

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm.caldwell at cdu.edu.au
Thu May 21 01:48:35 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 12:23 +0300, Pertti Kosunen wrote:
> Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> > Is sxfe freezing a known issue?  Any fix?
>
> It freezes eventually with every software combination i have used (very
> infrequently at best).

I used softdevice for years and honestly do not think freezing was a
problem.

> Workaround is to kill frontend with remote and irexec. I run frontend in
> loop, so it starts again in 2 sec.

I have setup a key on the physical keyboard to do such.

Thanks for pointing out that I can check the return values, that could
be useful.

One thing that I notice is that when vdr-sxfe freezes I can no longer do
a svdrp GRAB.  So, perhaps a cron job can be setup to try a grab, and if
that fails restart vdr-sxfe.  Or, xineliboutput could implement a PING
command.  A hack, yes, but it still might be better than frozen video!