[vdr] Recommendation for new hd vdr system.

Seppo Ingalsuo seppo.ingalsuo at iki.fi
Tue Nov 17 19:48:33 CET 2009

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> If the only planned source is a pc (running vdr and, say, xmbc), would
> it make sense to bypass the av receiver completely and just decode the
> audio on the pc connected to the speakers?
> Or it doesn't make sense (since you'll need an amplifier for each
> channel anyway, so you could just as well buy an av receiver)?
Good point! I suppose the benefit of going for AVR is better speakers
management: levels, delays, response correction and subwooofer crossover
filters. The effects are actually usable. I'm using stereo and surround
modes from Onkyo AVR. I've been also quite happy  with Audussey setup. A
pure PC plus amplifiers (class-D modules) could be superior to AVR in
those tasks but I'm not aware of such developments for e.g. ALSA user
space or PulseAudio.

> Just asking, since with wife, kids, and neighbours, I'll probably have
> to convince myself that the tv speakers are good enough ;-)
The center channel is really good for any TV watching. But my wife is
not happy without a properly programmed universal remote. A "watch VDR"
macro does all the powering and routing.

BR,
Seppo