[vdr] [Announce] vdr-remoteosd-0.1.0 and vdr-svdrposd-0.1.0

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Thu Oct 8 07:28:08 CEST 2009

Mika Laitio schrieb:
>> I just published new releases of the plugins remoteosd and svdrposd
>> (formerly
>> svdrpext) on http://vdr.schmirler.de. The most important changes are the
>> overdue gettext support for remoteosd and a major speedup of the
>> remote menu
>> in combination with the new svdrposd plugin.
>>
>> The remoteosd plugin provides access to the menu of an other VDR.
>> Remoteosd
>> relies on the svdrpservice plugin, which is also available from my
>> website.
>>
>> I renamed the svdrpext plugin to svdrposd. The plugin publishes the
>> textual
>> contents of the OSD menu on SVDRP. In order to access the menu of a
>> remote VDR
>> using the remoteosd plugin, svdrposd or its successor svdrpext must be
>> installed on the remote VDR.
>
> Hi, I got interested in from your plugins and tried to read throught
> your web page to get more info. So if I understood correctly the
> svdrpservice plugin provides the highway howto communicate from client
> to vdr server.
>
> But after that I get a little lost what are the cases where I should
> use your plugins... I mean currently I have 1 vdr server with dvb-t
> and dvb-c cards, xineliboutput server and streamdev server plugins
> running on it. Then from other client computers I can use either
> mplayer or xineliboutput client (vdr-sxfe)
> for connecting to this server for watching the tv. Currently my setup
> has however a that kind of limitation that all vdr-sxfe clients are
> forced to watch the same channel and whenever any of the clients
> change channel, the channel will be changed also to every other
> vdr-sxfe clients. I have read this could be somehow be avoided by
> running multiple vdr servers on the server machine and then forcing
> each client to connect to own vdr server port...
>
> Are your plugins meant for solving a that kind of multiple clients
> want to watch different channel problems or for which purpose your are
> using these plugins?
My understanding of how you could do the setup, and how exactly this
plugins can help you:

You have streamdev-server and svdrpservice/osd plugins running on the
server. You have running streamdev-client and remote-osd, remote-timer
and whatever else plugin running on the client(s)

The client would carry the xineliboutput plugin and you connect on the
client machine to the client machine vdr. The streamdev provides the "tv
cards" to the clients. The remote timer plugin enables you to create
timers and more on the server, the epgsync lets you sync the epg, so
clients don't need to do epg-scan (which could hit your server hard if 1
server , multipke clients). The Remote OSD Plugin enables you to have
the server OSD on one of the clients to do configurations etc pp. So in
the end you get a client server vdr which behaves very near like a few
standalone vdr