[vdr] merging correctly several .ts files to a single ts file or better mkv

Lucian Muresan lucianm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 1 14:24:32 CEST 2010

On 01.04.2010 13:23, Eric Valette wrote:

>> Where do you take that time offset value from?
> I play the simplified ts file using smplayer -ss is the start in the ts
> file, -t is the duration to add
> to the -ss value (I would have prefered the absolute end avoiding a
> substract...).

So for now you're determining that value sort of experimentally?

>> I'm also working on such
>> kind of scripts right now, because I want to remux especially HD
>> recordings to MKV. In the case of movies broadcasted by ARD HD or ZDF HD
>> (720p at 50Hz), they are full of so-called filler-NALUs, which can be
>> removed just by muxing into MKV not directly by ffmpeg, but by mkvmerge,
>> which shrinks a 10GB movie to about 3GB.
> You mean you extract the various component (audio, video) into separate
> files
> and then reassemble them using mkvmerge?

Yes, I'm demuxing all the 000xy.ts files in all their component streams
with ffmpeg for now first, then multiplex the ones I want with mkvmerge.
I might switch to tsMuxeR, maybe also convert back to cleaned-up TS from
MKV also with tsMuxeR to make the smaller recording again playable by
VDR (I've read in the vdr-portal.de forum some users already
experimented with this).

>> My problem is still A/V sync,
>> all the original TS chunks (I also record into 200MB pieces, because of
>> fast editing in VDR) show video delays for each audio track of over 1
>> second, which is also very noticeable ion the final converted MKV. The
>> delays are reported both by tsMuxeR and mediainfo see for example the
>> "Video delay" value below:
>>
> Yes I know this is why the "async 2, (+ vsync 2 for récent ffmpeg
> version)" is there. Without them I have the audio and the video out of
> sync just like you.
>
> ffmpeg -y -i simplified1.ts  -vcodec copy -sameq -acodec copy -vsync 2 -async 2 -f matroska 1.mkv
>
> I'll post the mediainfo on the ts and mkv when back at home.

By "simplified" you mean the merged ts?

Lucian