[vdr] Advice on new motherboard, xineliboutput, vdpau, hdmi video & audio, etc.

Seppo Ingalsuo seppo.ingalsuo at iki.fi
Sun Aug 15 20:59:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

My old HTPC motherboard died and I'm now looking for a new one to become
a vdr-sxfe "thin" client. The old Silverstone case is for normal ATX
board but I no more need PCI slots so a smaller one, even a Mini-ITX
would do. Since the PC runs 24/7 I'm interested in low-power
motherboards with Atom CPU. There should be VDPAU support for MPEG-2
SDTV decoding + high-quality de-interlacing. I'm watching also sometimes
H.264 HDTV channels from satellite. There should be 1080p50 video + up
7.1ch multi-channel PCM audio over HDMI. I'd like to get rid of SPDIF
connection to AV-receiver.

My HTPC box has a home-brew LIRC receiver that connected to motherboard
(Asus style) COM port heading. If COM ports are history I could change
to Bluetooth remote control with a PS3 Blu-Ray remote. Therefore
integrated BT support would be nice (otherwise some USB-BT dongle). WLAN
is not mandatory since I stream from vdr server over gigabit ethernet.
Are there still issues with some ethernet chipsets and Linux?

I found some options such as Asus AT3IONT-I DELUXE, Asus AT3IONT-I, Asus
AT5IONT-I. I would be happy to hear experiences about these motherboards
with Linux and Xine. Are there problems with some motherboard features?
Other recommendations are welcome too!

Cheers,
Seppo