[vdr] Advice on new motherboard, xineliboutput, vdpau, hdmi video & audio, etc.

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 17 23:45:33 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, den 17.08.2010, 09:48 -0700 schrieb VDR User:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > is there really no recommendation for a board not using Nvidia graphics
> > components? It would really be great to not depend on proprietary
> > drivers.
>
> Just wondering why you even care about this...  The Nvidia drivers
> work well for me and honestly that's all I care about.

Good for you. As I wrote I do not want to start a flame war. But you
asked. ;-)

Everyone should decide for himself what he wants. I am on the side of
Free Software and believe that it has more advantages than just »it
works«.

For example I believe supporting hardware requiring non-free software
puts more work to the distributions and people working on those because
they have to answer a lot of support request when people contact them
and not Nvidia and they cannot fix problems because they do not have
access to the code. Secondly I guess you will find a lot of requests for
fixes the Nvidia driver which have not been accomplished.

I think you will find a lot of information about this whole issue on the
Internet and others can lay down the points better than I can. But as I
said, it is just an axiom, so you cannot argue what is right or wrong.

Thanks,

Paul