[vdr] Advice on new motherboard, xineliboutput, vdpau, hdmi video & audio, etc.

Seppo Ingalsuo seppo.ingalsuo at iki.fi
Wed Aug 18 20:44:24 CEST 2010

On 18.08.2010 00:36, Paul Menzel wrote:
> What driver did you use?

I used the ppa:gma500/ppa repository as described in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo for
Ubuntu Lucid.

There is lot of green in the table the real situation for this driver is
not as excellent/good. Or if it is "good" then as comparison Nvidia
binary driver quality is superior and high above the scale... I have had
problems with Nvidia drivers but they have been solved/mitigated to
usable level. Even if closed binary drivers are generally bad there are
poor and usable examples.

> Anyway, »besides Intel Poulsbo« meant this chip is using closed drivers
> and is not supported by xf86-video-intel and so it does not fit into my
> wish list.

I fully agree. If I knew this Intel chipset had only closed binary
drivers I would have bought my kids another netbook. I bet there will be
problems with new X.org and next Ubuntu problems.

BR,
Seppo