[vdr] Dish Network and Diseqc switches.

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Thu Aug 19 07:20:28 CEST 2010

Ok, the problem with dish equipment is dish now scambles everything
including the NASA. the only channel not scambled is 101 which is just
and 24/7 comercial for DN. However, their EPG data is not scrambled, so
if you can find your locals, you can add the channels to your list and
add the 9 day eepg channel. As long as you have the locals in the list,
vdr will get the guide data from epg. The eepg channel is just a data
channel, no video or audio. If your area is like mine, the local ATSC
broadcast are doing good to get data up for the next 12-24hours and
because they don't follow the required standards, some of those are just
show name. So, at least for the networks, you can grab the guide from sat.

Now if you want programing.... you won't find much and most of what is
not scrambled is foreign. Also, You will have to look to C-band for much
of it which requires a 4-8' dish. What is on Ku is linear and will
require a dish of around 30" or more. The superdish is a bit larger then
most of the ones people use, so it might work. But you will need a
linear lnb as the dish lnbs are all circular polarity. Didn't happen to
bring any lnb's with you did you? :)

There is an FTA service comming, http://www.freedbs.org/ which may use a
circular transponder since the list a 22" dish as minimum. If you really
want to get into NA FTA, you might want to poke around satelliteguys web
site.