[vdr] nvidia-vdr closed driver or open source?

Eric Valette Eric.Valette at Free.fr
Thu Aug 19 13:11:39 CEST 2010

On 08/19/2010 12:55 PM, martinez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an onboard nvidia 8200 graphics card, using vdr-1.7.15 connecting with xine  and using xv , not vdpau
> At the moment out of habit I am using the nvidia proprietary driver, but should I use the open source instead? Which one is likely to yield better performance in my setup?

Still the nvidia proprietary driver. There as been various benchmark of
nouveau vs nvidia at phoronix which clearly shows there is still a long
road for nouveau even if it is making steady improvements and old
chipsets are now nearly on par. It vastly depend on the CPU you have to
help GPU.

-- eric