[vdr] Xorg displaying 50 Hz but uses 60 Hz with Nvidia driver

Thomas Hilber vdr at toh.cx
Fri Aug 27 03:00:03 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:23:22PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Thomas, having just
>
> 	VertRefresh     50.0
>
> in your `xorg.conf`, did you measure the 60 Hz directly at the output or
> were you just saying the tools reported 60 Hz?

without specifying the modeline directly in xorg.conf (the bad case)
the tool reported 60Hz, Xorg.0.log reports 50Hz and at the same time
it was juddering like mad. This is clearly a bug for me because the
Modes "1920x1080_50" setting is ignored and on top of that Xorg.0.log
lies about this.

After specifying the modeline directly in xorg.conf (the workaround)
the tool and Xorg.0.log reported 50Hz. And live ticker scrolled
smoothly without any jumping.

For me this is evidence enough the tool reported the right thing
in both cases.

cheers
  Thomas