[vdr] VGA2SCART and Broadcom Crystal HD

Niko Mikkilä nm at phnet.fi
Wed Dec 1 19:46:26 CET 2010

On 2010-11-29 at 18:58 +0100, Damien Bally wrote:
> Hello
>
> I plan to buy an D945GSEJT to build my new VDR box and I would give a
> try to the VGA2SCART (FRC) output. My TV-set is still a good old CRT.
>
> 1) Is the quality comparable to a dxr3 card which I am satisfied with ?

If you get FRC working, it's about as good as RGB SCART can possibly be,
which is much better than the SVideo output of a normal Dxr3. I haven't
seen how an RGB-modified Dxr3 compares.

> 2) Can it be used with a BCM70015 card in order to play HD channels ?

That should work in principle, but I'm not sure what would be the best
way to use it with VDR. Proper 1080i->576i downconversion may also be a
bit tricky to achive with current solutions. 720p and progressively
coded 1080i broadcasts are easier.

--Niko