[vdr] dvb devices on demand patch

Georg Acher acher at in.tum.de
Sun Dec 5 22:33:14 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 01:58:42AM +0100, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> To make it short I see use cases for it - i just can not manage to do it
> myself - so i thought i share my thoughts, by chance someone interested
> is reading it.

Have a look at the mcli-plugin and the few patches for vdr it needs. It is
already doing everything you are describing, as we needed that for the
NetCeiver-streaming for multiple clients.

Namely:

a) Providing virtual tuners to allow arbitrary hotplugging (tuner types and
sat positions) and even changing tuner properties "on-demand".

b) Disabling unused tuners, however this is hard in general as there's no
hard information on the PID usage type available.

But be warned, hotplugging has some pitfalls ;) So the "resource allocation
checks" for a point of time in the future (like timer collisions) are no
longer useful.

         Georg Acher, acher at in.tum.de
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher