[vdr] Minor *.po patch

Rolf Ahrenberg rahrenbe at cc.hut.fi
Tue Dec 7 07:16:24 CET 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> Don't stop reading there.  I don't know about forbidden, but they do write
> that the value "is" something else, a bit below the above quoted part:

I didn't! :)

> * In this PO file field, but not in locale names, ‘ll_CC’ combinations
> denoting a language's main dialect are abbreviated as ‘ll’. For example, ‘de’
> is equivalent to ‘de_DE’ (German as spoken in Germany), and ‘pt’ to ‘pt_PT’
> (Portuguese as spoken in Portugal) in this context.
> * In this PO file field, suffixes like ‘.encoding’ are not used.
> * In this PO file field, variant designators that are not relevant to message
> translation, such as ‘@euro’, are not used.
>
> So, if your locale name is ‘de_DE.UTF-8’, the language specification in PO
> files is just ‘de’."

So, "de" is a synonym for "de_DE" and both definitions are as correct as
they can be according to my interpretation.

> But leaving out the country only applies to _the_ (there can be only one I
> gather) primary dialect of a language.  So both zh_CN and zh_TW cannot be the
> primary dialect; dunno if there's such a thing for Chinese in the first place.
> If you look at my patch carefully, you'll see that for zh_CN.po the value of
> the Language field is zh_CN.

And you could use here the plain "zh" as it defaults to "zh_CH" -
according to my quick Google searchs.

> I did not invent any of these values myself - I just first fixed the Language-
> Team fields so that gettext itself understands them, and then ran the files
> through gettext, and copied/included in my patch what gettext itself had
> added.
> I think following what gettext's docs say/recommend and what it actually does
> itself is the best approach.

In that case those plain language codes are enough. I was just thinking
about new translation that might come in future using subdialects.
Translators usually uses the existing ones as a starting point and might
not remember to update these fields correctly.

BR,
--
rofa