[vdr] Include Path in Makefile (VDR >=1.7.15)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 12 18:03:22 CET 2010

Am Sonntag, den 12.12.2010, 16:46 +0100 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Am Sonntag, den 12.12.2010, 16:29 +0100 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:

> > > Thats not what the HISTORY reads. Either the Makefile or the HISTORY
> > > should be changed.
> >
> > This change was posted here on the list by Paul Menzel on 2010-04-05.
>
> The link to the message in the archive is [1].
>
> > I guess the phrase "Include paths are now added instead of overwriting..."
> > in the HISTORY was my fault.
> >
> > @Paul: would it be ok with you to make this
> >
> > INCLUDES += -I/usr/include/freetype2
> >
> > instead of
> >
> > INCLUDES ?= -I/usr/include/freetype2
>
> Reading my commit message,
>
>         In some environments, i. e. when cross building, include files
>         are not located in the standard path like
>         `/usr/includes/freetype2`. Make it possible to provide the
>         correct path without needing to patch `Makefile`.
>
> I would say that it would not work when cross compiling. I am no expert
> though. I would recommend to change the entry in HISTORY and I will ask
> on openembedded-devel what they suggest.

My message already got an answer [2] which advises to use `pkg-config`.

        IMO you should use pkg-config or freetype-config instead, e.g.:

        INCLUDES ?= `pkg-config --cflags freetype2`

        or better, instead of using INCLUDES at all:

        FREETYPE_CFLAGS ?= `pkg-config --cflags freetype2`
        CFLAGS += $(FREETYPE_CFLAGS)

        This will work in most environments.

Thanks,

Paul