[vdr] Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:24:31 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> > Having epg in a DB (sqlite,mysql) might also be nice.
>>
>> You are going to find a lot of opposition to this.  Thinking of sql, I
>> don't recall ever hearing anyone suggest VDR using it would be a good
>> idea but I have heard people will look into other options if it ever
>> did go that route (as mythtv uses currrently).
>
> That is why Steffen wrote to make it a plugin.

EPG support falls into the category of the most basic functionality.
I'm not convinced things like this belong as optional plugins to be
honest.  Some things, such as VDR's attachment to FF cards, make sense
as plugins.  But it seems the automatic answer to everything is 'make
it a plugin' now.  So is VDR to become merely a plugin manager with no
actual core functionality anymore?  Is it wise to have VDR rely on
plugins to be usable at all?  These types of questions deserve
consideration when you want to walk on slippery slopes.