[vdr] Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Sun Dec 12 19:46:32 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 19:24, VDR User wrote:

>>> You are going to find a lot of opposition to this.  Thinking of sql, I
>>> don't recall ever hearing anyone suggest VDR using it would be a good
>>> idea but I have heard people will look into other options if it ever
>>> did go that route (as mythtv uses currrently).
>>
>> That is why Steffen wrote to make it a plugin.
>
> EPG support falls into the category of the most basic functionality.
> I'm not convinced things like this belong as optional plugins to be
> honest.  Some things, such as VDR's attachment to FF cards, make sense
> as plugins.  But it seems the automatic answer to everything is 'make
> it a plugin' now.  So is VDR to become merely a plugin manager with no
> actual core functionality anymore?  Is it wise to have VDR rely on
> plugins to be usable at all?  These types of questions deserve
> consideration when you want to walk on slippery slopes.

Remember that for example in france the DVB-T stream EPG contains only
the actual program and the next program. So it is hardly useable at all.

You now have most other video recorder code that use xmltv one way or
other (tvheadend, myth, ...). I like VDR because it is simple but OSD is
so poor that it need to be integrated in something else (xine, xbmc) to
provide a decent GUI and then you need a bunch of plugins (streamdev,
epgsearch, ...). Plus there is almost no up-to-date documentation for
plugins, or only in german, no centrailised source repositories because
of the plugins are developped elsewhere...

So I second this post and think that decent epg is a basic feature for
searching program and programmed recording based on epg and that dvb-t
based stream is not the right way to go because it will contain very few
infos in most countries.

For those on linux, look at what qmagneto does and imagine it can talk
to vdr to program recordings... I use it in cunjunction with mpalyer
--dumpfile -dumstream to record IPTV streams.

-- eric