[vdr] Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Sun Dec 12 22:50:09 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 20:29, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> external epg source is possible allready - i just think the merge and
> general handling could be improved :)

If you try to prove everything is possible via plugin yes. Vdr could
even be simply a plugin loader as someone else suggested. The problem
for the end user is how many packages do he have to install and
configure to get a decent functionality and how easy is it.

for most users compiling from sources is simply too complicated. I tried
packages from yavdr and they do not work for me. I have been forced to
use the debian pacakging and remove patches to correctly have HD TV via
XBMC.

> vdr-developer.org is a beginning :) and most new development is
> announced here too.

I rarely found anything useful at vdr-developer.org except maybe a small
description of some plugins but almost nothing about their status if
they are actively maintained, the git location and so on. Even the
description of channel.conf is quite innacurate. In fact this list is
the almost unique source for information.

> xmltv epg can be translated and imported into VDR now allready, there
> are a couple of other epg providing plugins and scripts as well, the
> main problem is available epg data possible to be fetched and
> translated.

Did you try to use it recently. The xmltv to vdr perl script is
unmaintained and obsolete...

> What about live plugin if the epg is imported into vdr ? It can handle
> epgsearch searchtimer, normal timer etc - so that allready exist to
> some extend :)

live plugin needs streamdev and epgsearch to function right. So again it
is not basic VDR. Plus, in France in never managed to find anything
useful via the various search feature.

--eric