[vdr] Request: E parameter in channels.conf for epg scan

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 01:00:27 CET 2010

On 12/12/10 22:33, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 12.12.2010 18:21, Steffen Barszus wrote:
>> Having epg in a DB (sqlite,mysql) might also be nice.
>
> Definiteley *no* database in VDR!
> I've said it on many occasions, and I'll repeat it as many times
> as necessary! If you want to handle EPG data in a database, do it
> externally and feed the resulting EPG data into VDR via SVDRP.

VDR stores data about the EPG, presumably indexes it somehow, and looks
up information in it. That *is* a database. What's wrong with using an
existing database engine? Less code for you to maintain, easier to
access it with 3rd party tools, and if something like sqlite3 isn't
quite as efficient as your code tailored for EPGs, does anyone still use
a PC old enough that it would make any noticeable difference?