[vdr] How to extract HD dvb subtitles (and possibly convert to srt)?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Wed Dec 15 18:28:50 CET 2010

I've a media player that only understand srt subtitles, so I'm looking
for a way to extract the dvb subtitles from a vdr ts recording, and then
use some kind of ocr to convert it to srt.
I asked google and I came empty handed (many people asking the same
question with no working answer).

What I tried so far:

- ProjectX (fails because it doesn't like hd pixel coordinates)
- avidemux (it has a ts->srt option but it only allows pids up to to
255, and the lucky few that managed to make it work say that it doesn't
work with hd)
- mencoder -vobsubout (it just produces garbage instead of good
pictures, at least according to subrip)

Any other option?

Bye
--