[vdr] Hauppauge PVR-HD and IPTV plugin

L. Hanisch dvb at flensrocker.de
Mon Feb 8 22:53:03 CET 2010

Hi Rob,

Am 08.02.2010 21:28, schrieb Rob Davis:
> On 08/02/10 12:58, L. Hanisch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 08.02.2010 16:53, schrieb Rob Davis:
>>> Hi, I have a Hauppauge PVR-HD which works but creating an h264 ts stream
>>> from a set HD component inputs and does quite a nice job of it.
>>> The ts stream is available on /dev/video0 and a simple cat /dev/video0
>>>   >file.ts will create a watchable high quality dump..
>>
>>   Is it a cx18-based card? There a plans to integrate support for the
>> native TS-capability of those cards in the pvrinput-plugin, but it will
>> take some time. If you mind you can send me off-list a sample video (up
>> to 4MB with the cat-method). I'm just working on repacking the program
>> stream of ivtv-based cards with valid PAT, PMT and PCR, a pass through
>> of a valid TS shouldn't be that hard. But I don't promise anything since
>> I haven't such a card. Particulary if its controls are too different
>> from the ivtv-ones.
>>
>> regards,
>> Lars.
>>

> I spoke to Marin a little about this.. In terms of controls.. There are
> none that need worrying about... It doesn't have a tuner.  It would be
> useful to have a way to control an external channel changer (which
> Martin nicely put in for my other pvr-500 card (for SD channels off the
> cable box)..

  I see, I helped him with getting it into the plugin.

> The linux module is pvrhd.  Once loaded, along comes a /dev/video0
> device.  A cat or mplayer command on this work well.

  I did some google search on the PVR-HD and found the module name
"hdpvr" in the mythtv-wiki and in my ubuntu modules directory.
  What says "cat /sys/class/video4linux/video0/name" and "cat
/sys/class/video4linux/video0/uevent"?

> The ts stream is dependant on what is fed to it.  Ie, if your source is
> 1080i, then you'll get a 1080i stream, if 720p then that's what you get..

  Ok, "no controls" is a good thing, if the plugin only has to read from
the device and hand the packets over to vdr, we can give it a try.

> There was a quick sample on the internet, but I can also manually record
> something for you if you want it.. Just not sure where to leave it..

  I would like to see some small piece of video (about 4MB) to inspect
the TS structure (till now I've only dealt with MPEG2-PS/TS), my inbox
has no problem with an attachment of such size. Just cat some seconds to
a file and send it to me (perhaps you have to truncate it with dd if
it's growing to fast but make sure I get the beginning of the file ;-)).
At the next weekend I can try to integrate support for it.
  In particular I'm interested if the PAT and PMT is present or if I
have to build them with the cPatPmtGenerator of vdr 1.7.1 and up. Will
it be a problem for you to upgrade to 1.7.x (x >= 1)?

regards,
Lars.