[vdr] Linux in the living room

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Tue Feb 23 10:34:59 CET 2010

En/na Paul Menzel ha escrit:
> Am Dienstag, den 23.02.2010, 07:19 +0100 schrieb Stefan Hußfeldt:
>> Oliver Endriss schrieb:
>>
>>> I just checked my archives and found that VDR replaced my analogue SAT
>>> receiver around July 2002. From the beginning it was the most useful
>>> linux application I ever tried. And it is still the only one which made
>>> it into the living room.
>> That's not true for me at all. My LCD TV is running Linux and has sshd,
>> ftpd, nfs, etc. ;)
>
> Sounds great! What model is that?

Most (all?) modern tv sets from samsung, lg, panasonic, sharp (and
probably philips) are running some form of Linux, but that's usually
only the base operating system, the application controlling the tv and
that's doing mostly everything is closed.
You can still do some interesting things just hacking the Linux base
(e.g, if the tv can reproduce media from usb, you can fake an usb stick
with an nfs mounted directory to media from the network), provided the
manufacturer is "friendly" enough to the GPL and provides everything it
is required to provide (I'm struggling with LG to get the sources
corresponding to what's actually running on my TV, so if that's an
important decision factor I'd avoid LG).
Samsung seems to be the most "hacker friendly" set, see
http://samygo.sourceforge.net

Bye
--
Luca