[vdr] Insufficient hardware PID filters on tuner (Klaus Schmidinger)

Richard F lists at keynet-technology.com
Sun Jun 6 23:19:45 CEST 2010

Klaus wrote:
>> The question is can the total PID count be reduced when VDR is idle, or
>> is there an assumption that a channel uses fewer than 4 PID's in
>> calculating how many to leave spare for recordings (if that's how it
>> works)?
>>

> VDR doesn't do any calculations regarding the number of PID filters.
> It just assumes that there will be enough of them ;-)
>
> You might want to try VDR 1.7.14, which saves a few PID filters.
> Here's what you could try in VDR 1.6.0-2:
>
> - in eit.c exchange the code after the line "// --- cEitFilter -----------"
>   with that from VDR 1.7.14. You may need to leave out the "disable until" part.
>   That saves two PID filters.
>
> - disable setting the system time from the transponder (saves another
>   filter in eit.c)
>
> Klaus

Great work, thanks Klaus - I patched version 1.6 as you suggest, leaving
out the "disable until" bit.
The Freecom USB receiver will now do at least 2 channels simultaneously,
sometimes 3.
When idle, 6 PID's are now in use normally instead of 8 (I wasn't
setting system time - using NTP).

Are you aware of anywhere the PID capacity of receivers is published -
it's not in http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices for
example?
- it would be good to publish, so buyers can select better hardware

cheers
Richard