[vdr] Request for rotor integration to vdr

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Thu Jun 24 10:37:22 CEST 2010

Al 23/06/10 23:04, En/na Timothy D. Lenz ha escrit:

> I also looked at the Actuator plugin because I am interested in getting
> something going with c-band and thought maybe it included rotor
> commands. Don't it does, doesn't look like it's been updated since
> vdr-1.6.0,

Hi, I didn't update the released version (it seems there are only two
users of the plugin), but I'm using it with vdr 1.7.15 (with the
transponder tuning and channel scanning commented out, I don't have much
time or need to work on that).

> and requires a custom kernel module. I don't mind building
> custom electronics and was planing to anyway. But I don't want to have
> to hack code into the kernel.

It's a really simple out of tree module, you don't need to hack the
kernel, just to compile the module and insmod it.
It hasn't caused me any problem in the many years I have used it.
BTW, the module uses a parallel port, and since these are becoming
difficult to find, I wrote another, unreleased, one that uses a serial
port (even an usb to serial adapter should work).
Of course I'm not (still) using it in production, so it's not as tested
as the one using the parallel port.

> I think they have boxes that provide
> actuator control from rotor diseqc commands anyway which brings us back
> to including it.

Well, yes, but I'm cheap and I preferred to spend 5€ in components
tucked inside the computer instead of buying a 100€ v-box, have another
box laying around and having less control over the whole positioning
process.

Bye
--
Luca