[vdr] Request for rotor integration to vdr

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Thu Jun 24 20:18:14 CEST 2010

On 6/24/2010 1:37 AM, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> It's a really simple out of tree module, you don't need to hack the
> kernel, just to compile the module and insmod it.
> It hasn't caused me any problem in the many years I have used it.
> BTW, the module uses a parallel port, and since these are becoming
> difficult to find, I wrote another, unreleased, one that uses a serial
> port (even an usb to serial adapter should work).
> Of course I'm not (still) using it in production, so it's not as tested
> as the one using the parallel port.

I looked on mine and while it doesn't have a port on the back, it does
have a header on the board. If intel had their way, there'd  be not
floppy, parallel or serial ports on any new board :(. With a serial
port, the data stream could be brought out to parallel giving you 8 pins.

> Well, yes, but I'm cheap and I preferred to spend 5€ in components
> tucked inside the computer instead of buying a 100€ v-box, have another
> box laying around and having less control over the whole positioning
> process.

I'm cheap too, that's why I'm thinking about home made rotors moving
cone antennas made of foam covered with foil and maybe fiberglass. Light
so a faster rotor could be made, and 2-3 of those should be cheaper then
an array of dishes, lnb's and switches. Plus cone antennas they say
don't have the rain fade problem. Only problem I might run into is I
want to do C-band also and while for Ku the cones end up being smaller
then a dish, I'm hearing that to make it work on in c-band, the length
is measured in yards instead of inches. We'll see.