[vdr] xine-lib and vaapi support

Theunis Potgieter theunis.potgieter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:06:59 CET 2010

I'm considering to upgrade my current p3 system to a hdmi/optical
SPDIF and enough expansion slots to fill in dvb-s devices. I found
plenty of motherboards with combinations of 2x or 3x pci and 3x
pci-express. I can simply convert those pci-e to pci with an adapter
so that is not a problem. The unkown factor for me is, should I
consider a motherboard where the Core i3 (System on Chip) has got a
built in hdmi interface? Or would I be better off with nvidia's vdpau,
of consider to go ati/amd and what power usage are we looking at?
Should I then rely on vaapi support again?

The end result should be a machine that is good for vdr as a frontend
and a backend, that is fast enough to be able to do transcoding on the
fly for those mobile devices that don't accept mpeg2 natively. (I have
been doing some transcoding using vlc + mediatomb on a core2 duo
1.8GHz). I'm trying to get rid of the core2 duo and the p3 (currently
hosting the dvb-s cards)

I don't see intel atom machines with at least 5+ expansion slots.

You suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Theunis