[vdr] Recordings Numbering

Frank Schmirler vdr at schmirler.de
Wed Nov 10 10:38:41 CET 2010

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 23:33:05 +0100, Udo Richter wrote
> In other words, store the unique ID in the info file permanently, right?
> What happens if two VDR instances write to the same video directory?
> What if you download a recording from a friend? In that case you
> might have two recordings with the same ID. How should that be handled?

The VDR instance ID (commandline option -i) should become part of the
recordings ID. If the instance ID is not 0, we would then get large numbers
(InstanceID << n | recordingNumber) or we need a separator ("%d-%d"). The
instance ID is part of the filename. So for recordings of a friend, you should
use a dedicated instance ID in the filename (something users probably will
forget).

An other problem to solve: old recordings will need an ID, too. And VDR will
not always be able to update info.vdr (e.g. recording on a DVD).

Cheers,
Frank