[vdr] Compressing VDR recordings without losing quality.

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sat Oct 30 19:47:06 CEST 2010

On 30/10/10 02:50, VDR User wrote:

> That sounds good when you read the datasheets but real world results
> are a bit different.  Also, what you're referring to is encoding
> comparisons all from a raw source - not mpeg2 vs. the same mpeg2
> reencoded in h264.  I can't stress enough that there is no magic to be
> had here for the reasons in my previous post.

And I wonder is there still much room for improvement in current H264
encoders? The various MPEG 4 part 2 codecs (DivX etc) improved a great
deal over time, and ISTR reading that the first H264 encoders offered
almost no practical improvement over the newest part 2 codecs at the
time.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk