[vdr] vdr conference streaming

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Mon Sep 6 22:08:12 CEST 2010

> Hi there,
>
> I am a happy vdr user (vdr 1.7.15 with a DVB-S2 card)
>
> I also happen to be member of an organization that promotes Open Source
> (so we should set an example) and we want to stream a conference we are
> organizing.
>
> I thought perhaps setting up vdr with a webcam and perhaps vdr-xine or
> streamdev would do the job?
>
> The idea is that multiple clients across the country would be able to see
> more or less in real time what is going on.
>
> The video does not have to be HD or otherwise impresive (the audio should
> be clear)
>
> Is it possible to do this with vdr and could somebody give me a few
> pointers and/or a link to a howto?

I suppose you could use the IPTV plugin (which supports uni/multicast) and
connect to an MCU to receive a conference stream.

You could also use the pvrinput plugin and connect a local camera.

How you'd tie all this into being a nice video conference system is probably
a bit more of a build.  I've always liked the idea of tying skype and a
camera into VDR (or XMBC), and using it as a "video-phone in the living
room".  Never spent any real time doing it though.  Always more things to
do!