[vdr] VPS fallback patch

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Sat Aug 6 13:37:27 CEST 2011

On 18.07.2011 13:53, Dave wrote:
> For some time (at least since 2008) Mandriva Linux have been including the
> attached patch in the version of vdr shipped with their distribution. It
> allows timers to be triggered directly by the Now/Next data in the EIT
> provided that a new parameter is set in the config file.
>
> Looking back in the mailing list archives I see the question of including this
> feature in vdr is an old one; see for example:
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2005-August/003975.html
>
> However I wonder if the time is now right to reconsider? In the UK an accurate
> Now&  Next EIT is provided on DVB-T as part of the Freeview Plus (aka TV-
> Anytime) service, with the data being directly derived from the broadcasters'
> playout systems. I have been running vdr with this patch for two years and
> have never missed a recording due to incorrect information. It was really
> useful during the recent Wimbledon tournament when many programmes ran late
> due to live coverage of the tennis.

VDR interprets the PDC (Programme Delivery Control) descriptor in order
to correctly record broadcasts that run longer or are shifted. If a
channel doesn't provide a PDC descriptor, it's usually not reliable
to use the "running status" as an indicator for the beginning/end
of a broadcast.

So, if a station actually wants to provide correct information on
when a broadcast begins/ends, the PDC descriptor is the way to go.

Klaus