[vdr] Fix for distortions at file split points [was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] VDR developer version 1.7.19]

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Sun Aug 7 16:02:32 CEST 2011

On 20.06.2011 00:22, Udo Richter wrote:
> Am 19.06.2011 22:57, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>> On 19.06.2011 12:41, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>>> - Fixed detecting frames in case the Picture Start Code or Access Unit
>>> Delimiter
>>> extends over TS packet boundaries (reported by Johan Andersson).
>>
>> I'm afraid this change causes a short distortion in video and audio
>> when VDR switches from one .ts file to the next during replay.
>> I have yet to investigate and fix this, just wanted to warn people
>> who make important recordings with this new version - which, of course,
>> nobody should do, since it is a developer version ;-)
>
> Thanks for the hint, reverted to 1.7.18 for now. Or, of course, would
> have if I were using a developer version, which nobody would do. ;)
>
> Can you provide a diff that reverts just that changeset so we can use
> all the other goodies of 1.7.19 for now? Eh, could, if we would use
> developer builds, of course. ;)

Please try the attached patch with VDR 1.7.19.

cRecorder::Action() now buffers TS packets in case the frame type is
not yet known when a new payload starts. This adds no overhead for channels
that broadcast the frame type within the first TS packet of a payload; it only
kicks in if that information is not in the first TS packet.

For testing you may want to set MaxVideoFileSize (in setup.conf) to
a lower value, so that recordings are split into many files.

Since I don't know of any channel I can receive that doesn't encode
the picture type in the first TS packet of a new payload, I was only
able to test whether the distortion problem is gone for "normal"
channels ("unnormal" being those that don't encode the picture type
in the first TS packet ;-). Therefore the actual buffering functionality
is untested.

If you get a "frame type not in first packet of payload - buffering"
or any other of the new log messages, please let me know.

Klaus