[vdr] FreeviewHD success with Nanostick 290e

Stuart Morris stuart_morris at talk21.com
Fri Aug 19 10:52:28 CEST 2011


Hi
I too have just acquired a 290e and I am having difficulty getting it to work with VDR.
Apart from the flakey driver at the moment, 'seeding' VDR's channel.conf is difficult. I tried using w_scan like this:

w_scan -c GB -o 7 -I my_init_tune_file

My tuning file (UK Sandy Heath) contained 1 line like this:
T 474166670 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM256 32k 1/32 NONE

w_scan produced this:
BBC HD;BBC:474166670:I999B8C23D0M998T999G32Y0:T:27500:101:0:0:0:17472:0:0:0
BBC One HD;BBC:474166670:I999B8C23D0M998T999G32Y0:T:27500:6601:0:0:0:17540:0:0:0
ITV1 HD;ITV:474166670:I999B8C23D0M998T999G32Y0:T:27500:201:0:0:0:17603:0:0:0
Channel 4 HD;CHANNEL FOUR:474166670:I999B8C23D0M998T999G32Y0:T:27500:301:0:0:0:17664:0:0:0

However, VDR uses the first available tuning device when one of these channels is selected, which happens to be a DVB-T device and not the 290e DVB-T2 device.

Is this a problem with channels.conf or do I need to use a later version of VDR? I am currently using VDR 1.7.15.

Laz how exactly did you 'seed' your channels.conf?

Thanks
Stuart

--- On Fri, 19/8/11, Laz <laz at club-burniston.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Laz <laz at club-burniston.co.uk>
> Subject: [vdr] FreeviewHD success with Nanostick 290e
> To: "Chris Rankin" <rankincj at yahoo.com>, "VDR Mailing List" <vdr at linuxtv.org>
> Date: Friday, 19 August, 2011, 8:55
> 
> Hi Chris (and list)
> 
> I've just been doing a bit more testing with my recently
> acquired Nanostick 
> 290e...
> 
> I added a fake channel with the frequency 618000000 MHz (my
> HD mux), QAM256, 
> and everything else set to auto or random values. I then
> switched to it. vdr 
> then picked up BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Channel4 HD, and BBC One
> HD.
> 
> It was clever enough to switch to the Nanostick for the HD
> mux because it's 
> the only device that can do QAM256 (not sure if _only_
> DVB-T2 includes QAM256 
> or whether my other devices are too old ot do it as part of
> DVB-T).
> 
> I get now/next EPG for the HD channels but it's encrypted
> (it needs a plugin 
> to decode, from what others have said).
> 
> If I switch to BBC One HD, femon gives me a video bit-rate
> of about 7 Mbit / s 
> and an audio bit-rate of about 150 kbit / s. It claims to
> have a signal 
> strength of 70% but I'm not sure I believe that! By
> comparison, BBC One gives 
> me something like 3 Mbit / sv video and 260 kbit / s audio,
> and signal 
> strength of 70%.
> 
> vdr has now written out the new entries to channels.conf:
> 
> BBC 
> HD;BBC:618000000:B8C23D23M256Y0:T:0:101=27:102=eng at 17,106=eng at 17:0:0:17472:9018:16516:0
> ITV1 
> HD;ITV:618000000:B8C23D23M256Y0:T:0:201=27:202=eng at 17,206=eng at 17:0:0:17604:9018:16516:0
> Channel 4 HD;CHANNEL 
> FOUR:618000000:B8C23D23M256Y0:T:0:301=27:302=eng at 17,306=eng at 17:0:0:17664:9018:16516:0
> BBC One 
> HD;BBC:618000000:B8C23D23M256Y0:T:0:6601=27:6602=eng at 17,6606=eng at 17:0:0:17540:9018:16516:0
> 
> These are from the Emley Moor transmitter (I'm not sure how
> whether PIDs, 
> etc., are the same between different transmitters but it
> might help someone.)
> 
> I'm not seeing anything on my tele' but I suspect my output
> device (a Matrox 
> G450 with softdevice) can't go up to that high a
> resolution! Actually, I don't 
> think it will currently play anything other than MPEG2.
> 
> I have a recording going from BBC One HD and there is a
> 00001.ts file which is 
> growing rapidly.
> 
> I just played it back on a different PC. Mplayer output:
> 
> Playing 00001.ts.
> TS file format detected.
> VIDEO H264(pid=6601) AUDIO AAC LATM(pid=6602) SUB
> DVB(pid=6605)  PROGRAM N. 
> 132
> FPS seems to be: 25.000000
> Load subtitles in ./
> ==========================================================================
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec
> family
> Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
> ==========================================================================
> ==========================================================================
> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio
> decoders
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio:
> 0->192000)
> Selected audio codec: [fflatm] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC in
> LATM)
> ==========================================================================
> AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> Starting playback...
> Unsupported PixelFormat 61
> Unsupported PixelFormat 53
> [h264 @ 0xeccca0]mmco: unref short failure
> Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie
> aspect.
> VO: [vdpau] 1440x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12 
> 
> Looking good!
> 
> As far as I can tell, it seems to be working.
> 
> :-)
> 
> Next step, get the epg sorted out...
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Laz
> 
> _______________________________________________
> vdr mailing list
> vdr at linuxtv.org
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr
> 



More information about the vdr mailing list