[vdr] VDR and Hybrid DVB Cards ( was "HVR 4000 drivers broken - adapter0/frontend1 busy" in linux-media list )

L. Hanisch dvb at flensrocker.de
Wed Nov 16 23:59:11 CET 2011

Am 16.11.2011 23:26, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> On 16.11.2011 19:16, L. Hanisch wrote:
>> Am 16.11.2011 00:08, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>>> That is also my understanding of multi frontend devices.
>>> If an "adapter" has several "frontends" only one of them can
>>> be active at any given time. This has nothing to do with
>>> any "explosives" (excuse the pun ;-) and will be implemented
>>> in the core VDR code as time permits. Right now I'm cleaning up
>>> the "lnb sharing" (aka "device bonding") stuff and will hopefully
>>> find more time for VDR development by the end of the year (and
>>> thereafter).
>>
>> If you don't mind I would try to prefabricate something.
>> On a first guess: would you combine the multiple frontends of an adapter in one cDvbDevice? I think this would be
>> better than having multiple cDvbDevices which must interact somehow with each other.
>
> Sure there will be one cDvbDevice per adapter for a multi-frontend device
> where only one frontend can be active at any time.
> If (like on the TT-S2 6400) there are several frontends that can be
> active simultaneously, then there shall be separate adapters for each
> frontend, and thus a separate cDvbDevice for each adapter.

  Here's a first "quick'n'dirty" patch. Since my hardware hasn't arrived yet I tested with a DVB-T and DVB-C stick and
sym-linked the devices within one adapter. I have no ca-devices in this setup.
  Switching between C and T channels works here, but it's not really tested with timers/recordings etc.

  I don't have a FF card, so the patches for the plugins are more of "remove compiler warnings" only. One have to think
about cDvbDeviceProbe and the parameters. A frontend argument doesn't make much sense now.

> Note, though, that support for such devices will most likely not
> go into VDR for version 2. I'm trying to wrap things up in order
> to make a stable version 2, and after that will address new things
> like this.

  I'm fine with this and looking forward to it. A new stable release would be fine! Xmas is next door... :)

Lars.