[vdr] eepg plugin + UK freeviewHD = }?Ln??X??Z?Z

Stuart Morris stuart_morris at talk21.com
Sat Oct 1 23:11:24 CEST 2011

--- On Thu, 29/9/11, Stuart Morris <stuart_morris at talk21.com> wrote:
> From: Stuart Morris <stuart_morris at talk21.com>
> Subject: Re: [vdr] eepg plugin + UK freeviewHD = }?Ln??X??Z?Z
> Date: Thursday, 29 September, 2011, 14:15
>

> --- On Thu, 29/9/11, Dominic Evans <oldmanuk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Dominic Evans <oldmanuk at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [vdr] eepg plugin + UK freeviewHD =
> }?Ln??X??Z?Z
> > To: "VDR Mailing List" <vdr at linuxtv.org>
> > Date: Thursday, 29 September, 2011, 13:25
> > On 29 September 2011 13:14, Dominic
> > Evans <oldmanuk at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > looking for the Freeview private data descriptor tag
> > 0x0000233a.
> information on
> > Freeview descriptors?
> > >
> > > I doubt they would be the same, but perhaps
> > > http://deadpenguin.org/svn/dp/trunk/src/core_si.c is a
> > start for you
> > > to investigate from?
> > >

> > You probably need to get hold of a copy of the DTG
> D-Book
> > to get
> > actual documentation of the private data descriptors.
> >
> > http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/books.html
>
> The Freeview private data descriptor I referred to above
> came from the Deadpenguin developer website. Unfortunately
> Deadpenguin does not appear to use the Freeview private data
> descriptor.
>
> The D-Book is THE reference, but £10000 is rather steep
> for access to technical data.
>
> Are there any applications or libraries that can analyse
> DVB streams and list the descriptors?

Dvbsnoop shows the compressed epg data is in the event descriptor of the transport stream EIT. I should have realised earlier if I had run VDR without the Eepg plugin and seen the gibberish epg for Freeview HD channels was still there.

I'll try creating an issue on the Eepg plugin page of the VDR Projects website.