[vdr] Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

Stefan Taferner taferner at kde.org
Sat Apr 7 11:01:34 CEST 2012

Am 2012-04-07 04:05, schrieb VDR User:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Gero<geronimo013 at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Well, *I* think, that there's a big difference between keeping things in order
>> compared to spreading things all over the place.
> I can't stand when things are installed all over the place. It's too
> messy and pointless in my opinion. I'm in the habit of simply running
> VDR from it's source dir and using symlinks. It makes things very easy
> like archiving working/test sources, changing between versions without
> any needless 'reinstall'ing, etc. I see no benefit what-so-ever to
> installing over running VDR from the source dir, unless of course
> you're using pre-compiled binaries.

I do not think that you would do this with your entire Linux system.... ;-)

Before the file hierarchy standard, Linux was a bit messy. Nowadays one
knows where to find things. Configuration for example in /etc - a no
brainer.
It makes life much easier, e.g. when backing up the system's configuration.

You can (guessed) most probably still start your VDR with the directories
given as commandline arguments. Sure, this means some custom script
for you. But the FHS helps many other people.

Kind regards,
Stefan