[vdr] same channel on different hardware

Timothy D. Lenz tlenz at vorgon.com
Wed Apr 25 22:18:22 CEST 2012

On 4/25/2012 2:46 AM, syrius.ml at no-log.org wrote:
> Marx<acc.for.news at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Hello
>> Let's say I have same channel available from DVB-S and DVB-T. Is it
>> possible to tell VDR that those channels are the same and can be
>> treated the same as on dual head DVB-S devices?
>> So It would share EPG and would be used for recording if needed.
>> There probably would be need to do some prioritizing which device
>> would be used as first choice.
>
> Hi,
>
> No at all, this has been on the wish list for a long time though :-)
> maybe for vdr 2.1 :)
>
> As far as i know, there's no official ticket/issue/wishlist tracker
> or development repository for main vdr.
> If you want to have a look at the wishes and patches you'll have to
> dig the mailing list archives.

There is a plugin called EPGSync that will copy guide date from one
channel to another where it is missing based on channel names. It has
some drawbacks, but does work. I pull guide date of Dishnets sat for
local channels because they go out 9 days and the yocals that run the
local stations are sometimes doing good to get a few hours out. Once
they do send out data even if it's just the name but no discription, all
the guide data for the channel/time is replaced with the new data.

Epgsearch will then set up timers when the dishnet data comes in and
because it is the same on both channels, it would set up timers for
both, but as the dishnet channels are scrambled, I just limit the search
to the ota channels.