[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Tue Dec 25 20:47:35 CET 2012

Hi,

as mentioned in the VDR-1.7.34 announcement, Make.config is now
gone for plugins.

Make.config gave me the opportunity to control features or
behavior of plugins and VDR at a central location without having
the need to adjust each plugin's Makefile. For example, while
developing vdr-xine, I could keep vdr-xine's Makefile in a
distributable state and still control to enable some features I'd
like to use in my local configuration. And when upgrading some
other plugins at bugfix level (i. e. there are usually no new
features and hence the config variables can stay the same), there
was no need to adjust the Makefile due to the config entries in
Make.config.

Here is an excerpt of my Make.config for an example of the above
mentioned configuration settings:

 > #xine
 > #VDR_XINE_VDR_HAS_TRUECOLOR_OSD = 1
 > VDR_XINE_SET_VIDEO_WINDOW = 1
 > VDR_XINE_VERIFY_BITMAP_DIRTY = 0
 >
 > #burn
 > DVDDEV=/dev/hdd
 > ISODIR=/video
 >
 > #vdr
 > BIDI=1
 > VFAT=1
 > REMOTE=LIRC
 > LIRC_PUSHFREQ=64 # 1/s
 > LIRC_REPEATDELAY=250 # ms
 > LIRC_REPEATFREQ=32 # 1/s
 > #LIRC_REPEATTIMEOUT=500 # ms
 > #LIRC_RECONNECTDELAY=3000 # ms
 > LIRC_PRIORITYBOOST=1
 >
 > #muggle
 > HAVE_ONLY_SERVER=1

As you can see, there is nothing like changing compiler or linker
settings -- for that stuff, I really appreciate the way it is
done now.

In a private discussion with kls, he asked me to talk to other
plugin developers too (so here we are) about that issue, so that
any solution in that regard will be of broad agreement by all
developers.

To conclude:
1.) there is a need for a common make configuration file for both
VDR and plugins.

2.) the file should be included in VDR's Makefile after including
Make.config (maybe that idea should be dropped in favor of 5.a)
as any VDR related option can be put into Make.config anyway).

3.) the file should be included into plugin Makefiles after
having set PLUGIN and VERSION to be able to have some
plugin-/version-dependent configuration.

4.) the file is optional -- maybe a template file like
Make.config.template could indicate that there is something
available for tuning.

5.) how do we name the file?
5.a) plugins.conf (doesn't fit perfectly for 2., to be a common
file for VDR too)
5.b) Make.common
5.c) local.conf
5.d) Make.config.local

6.) where do we put the file?
6.a) kls suggested /etc/vdr at a random shot
6.b) I would like to put it next to Make.config
6.c) use pkg-config to determine path (defaults to VDRDIR)

Please start sharing your ideas now ;-)

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl