Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Wed Dec 26 22:28:19 CET 2012

Am 24.12.2012 10:39, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> - The plugin Makefiles now have a separate 'install' target (suggested by Christopher
>    Reimer). In order to still allow the normal building of VDR (with all plugins in its
>    ./PLUGINS/src subdirectory, the plugin libraries in ./PLUGINS/lib and the i18n files in
>    ./locale) the VDR Makefile checks the settings of LIBDIR and LOCDIR when building the
>    plugins from within the VDR source directory. If these macros have their default values,
>    then the 'install' targets of the plugins' Makefiles are called. Otherwise the 'all'
>    targets are called and the plugins are merely built, and will have to be installed by a
>    call to 'make install-plugins'. This now also allows a user to copy a plugin source to
>    any directory, change into that directory and do 'make' and 'make install' to have the
>    plugin installed to wherever the local installation of VDR expects them.

This has a major downside: LIBDIR and LOCDIR have two different
meanings: First, the install target for make install, second, the
default search path for VDR as long as --lib and --localedir is not
specified. There's no way to handle them different.

So either I have a build that expects ./PLUGINS/lib to exist, or I
*have* to use make install, that currently creates a total mess.
(xineliboutput even tries to write outside of DESTDIR, and luckily fails
to write directly to /lib/.)

I'm now (after 6 hours) at the point that I'll probably have to write an
own lib and locale collector script that collects what has been in
./locale and ./PLUGINS/lib before, avoiding all the Makefiles, picking
the right folders and files (there's no common way to find the .so file
in the src folder), renaming them, etc. And I'm starting to think
whether staying at VDR-1.7.33 wouldn't be the better solution. (or
returning to 1.7.31 where editing recordings doesn't take forever.)

Cheers,

Udo