[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Fri Dec 28 09:29:01 CET 2012

On 28.12.2012 00:47, Dominic Evans wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2012, at 23:41, fnu <vdr at auktion.hostingkunde.de <mailto:vdr at auktion.hostingkunde.de>> wrote:
>
>> Linux wouldn't have been that succesfull, if Linus Torvalds would not had an
>> ear to the needs of others, even business needs ...
>
> A Christmas message from Linus – “IF YOU BREAK USERSPACE I HATE YOU AND YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON”
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1414106

Well, Linus apparently has very strong feelings about this.
However, nowhere in that posting does it say

   IF YOU BREAK USERSPACE I HATE YOU AND YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON

So did *you* (Dominic) just make that up? I'm asking because your
posting looks just like a direct quotation from Linus, and I have
a hard time imagining a renowned person like Linus Torvalds to say
something like that.

Not breaking userspace is, of course, the right thing to do in a *stable*
version of any software. But if this means that you can't do anything new
in a *developer* version, then I guess this means we should rather stop
doing any further development and just sit on what we have. But that would
cause people complaining about a lack of innovation, I guess...

Klaus