[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

Dominic Evans oldmanuk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 10:40:14 CET 2012

On 28 December 2012 09:29, Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de> wrote:
>   IF YOU BREAK USERSPACE I HATE YOU AND YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON
>
> So did *you* (Dominic) just make that up? I'm asking because your
> posting looks just like a direct quotation from Linus, and I have
> a hard time imagining a renowned person like Linus Torvalds to say
> something like that.

Apologies, I shouldn't have put double quotes; it wasn't actually
meant to look like a quote, but to be a summary of the general gist of
the posting. I was just trying to refute the suggestion that Linus was
a perfect example of friendlyness :)

> Not breaking userspace is, of course, the right thing to do in a *stable*
> version of any software. But if this means that you can't do anything new
> in a *developer* version, then I guess this means we should rather stop
> doing any further development and just sit on what we have. But that would
> cause people complaining about a lack of innovation, I guess...

Personally I think you (Klaus) should be free to experiment and do
whatever you like with the developer snapshots that you put on the
mailing list. There is no requirement for plugin authors and
distributions to keep up-to-date with every single release, and end
users shouldn't expect that.